Christopher G.Holt Attorney at Law
Free Initial Consultation

July 2017 Archives

Can I modify my child custody or visitation order?

Child custody and visitation orders are often the result of careful consideration and compromise. However, what worked when the initial agreement was reached may not work anymore as families' situations change over time. The terms of an agreement may no longer be practical or appropriate depending on the parents' and children's circumstances. In Mississippi, parents may petition the court for modification and must meet certain requirements to have their orders modified.

Mississippi hosts drug summit to combat opioid, heroin crisis

The Mississippi Drug Summit was held last week in Madison, led by Attorney General Jim Hood. The abuse of heroin and opioids is a nationwide epidemic that has grown exponentially in the last decade. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than half a million people died from drug overdoses between 2000 to 2015. Attorney General Hood believes that prevention, not criminal conviction, is the best option for fighting Mississippi's opioid and heroin problem and his goal during the summit was to educate the public on how to fight addiction.

Filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy stops wage garnishment

Deciding whether to file for bankruptcy is a difficult decision that is influenced by many factors. If debtors want to stop wage garnishment, they may decide that filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy is the best course of action. A benefit of Chapter 7 bankruptcy is that once filed, an automatic stay is imposed on creditors, which prevents them from continuing collection actions during the bankruptcy case.

Military life and child custody can work together

Military members have a lot of work-related duties that they can't just shirk off. They have to appear for their scheduled shifts unless they have a valid reason to miss them. Sadly, this means that taking the day off for no reason isn't something that is possible. Some spouses can't handle this aspect of military life and opt to end the marriage.

Can my criminal record be expunged?

Expungement is the legal process of clearing an arrest or conviction from a person's criminal record. The record is not completely erased, but rather remains accessible to certain government agencies. In certain situations, an expunged criminal conviction may still be considered proof of a prior conviction during sentencing for future crimes or in immigration/deportation proceedings. It may also still be considered a prior offense in the event of future arrest. However, once expungement is complete, generally the person arrested or convicted is no longer required to divulge their criminal record to employers, loan officers, educational institutions or other companies.

Contact My Law Offices To Learn More & Receive A Free Initial Consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Request A Consultation

Firm Location

Christopher G. Holt Attorney at Law
2501 14th St.
Suite 211
Gulfport, MS 39501

Phone: 228-206-0408
Phone: 228-865-7646
Map & Directions