Christopher G.Holt Attorney at Law
Free Initial Consultation

Paying your child support is important to your custody case

Going through a divorce can be difficult. If your former spouse has temporary custody, that could mean you see your children far less than you would like. If your former spouse refuses to allow or intentionally cancels or shortens your visitation, it can be tempting to cut off child support payments in retribution. Doing so, however, could damage your chances of getting custody of your children during the divorce.

If you and your former spouse do not agree about custody, visitation, child support or asset division, you need to seek the advice of an experienced Mississippi family law and divorce attorney. He or she will help you fight for custody or work through the mediation process to find a mutually agreeable compromise between you and your former spouse.

Especially if your former spouse has an attorney, going through the divorce without one could end up costing you a lot in terms of custody, support and assets. Don't take that risk!

Child support is a legal obligation

When you are told to pay child support, it is ordered by the courts. Failing to pay is in violation of the law. Worse, it shows the family courts that you don't respect their authority. When you refuse to pay child support, it looks like you are either unable or unwilling to support your children. That will not help your case for full or partial custody.

Paying in full and on time, on the other hand, demonstrates that you are dedicated to the well-being of your children. It also shows the courts that you are capable of providing for their physical and financial needs.

If you don't pay child support, in addition to harming your case for custody, you could face serious legal repercussions. If the courts move to enforce your child support order, the consequences could be severe. You are probably already aware that the courts can garnish your wages or seize your income tax returns. You may not realize that you could end up in jail as a result of failing to pay your child support. If you believe your support is too high and a modification is in order, your attorney can guide you through that process. Paying in the meantime, however, is in your best interest.

An attorney can help with child support issues

From filing a request for a hearing for child support modification to providing you with guidance and advice through the divorce proceedings, the help of an experienced divorce attorney is invaluable. Don't try to handle your divorce and custody issues on your own.

Source: Nov. 30, -0001

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact My Law Offices To Learn More & Receive A Free Initial Consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Request A Consultation

Firm Location

Christopher G. Holt Attorney at Law
2501 14th St.
Suite 211
Gulfport, MS 39501

Phone: 228-206-0408
Phone: 228-865-7646
Map & Directions